In 1987, Geláre came into existence, marking its inception with the inauguration of its inaugural store nestled within the bustling high streets of Fremantle, Western Australia. The original establishment swiftly became an attraction for both locals and tourists alike, renowned for its exclusive premium ice cream selection and meticulously handcrafted waffle cones. It wasn’t long before we contemplated how to share the essence of what endeared us to our patrons with an even wider audience. Our journey commenced with the creation of our distinctive waffle batter, impeccably designed to harmonize with our ice cream assortment, all served fresh and made to order, as is our signature.
Subsequently, we embarked on the evolution of our exclusive sundae, pancake, and real fruit smoothie offerings, while simultaneously expanding our presence across Australia and international borders. This expansion enabled us to bring our boundless enthusiasm and delight to an ever-growing number of individuals. In this email we find out
1. How did you enter the franchise business?
Geláre was founded over 35 years ago by engineer and entrepreneur Mr Farid Torabi.
At the age of 11, I began working in our dessert cafes, gaining a deep understanding of the operation before stepping into a business development role with the company, working closely alongside Mr Farid Torabi.
For the last 3 years, i have been overseeing the expansion and development of the brand internationally as Managing Director of Gelare International Pte Ltd.
2. Where and how did the idea of your concept come from?
Traditionally, the ice cream business model was simple: scoop, serve and walk away. Ice cream was an impulse; it was never a destination. This led us go beyond the pale and develop an innovative retail model which offers so much more than your traditional ice cream parlour. Geláre is now known as a one-of-a-kind, premium all-day dessert cafe.
3. What inspired the brand name?
The name Geláre is an Italian word and translates literally to “to freeze”. In hospitality, its crucial nowadays to be authentic and we wanted out brand name to reflect our authenticity. This authenticity touches on all aspects of our operation – from our artisinal ultra-premium and all-natural ice cream and sundaes range, to our freshly baked waffles and cones and barista made coffee and drinks range.
4. What is the story behind the brand’s logo?
The Gelare logo is simple, playful and recognisable. It is underscored by our tagline “treat yourself”, which is our aim all throughout the day. We want to be able to treat our customers in the morning, afternoon and evening.
5. What makes your brand different from your competitors?
1. We are not just a an ice cream parlour or merely a dessert shop. We are an all-day dessert cafe. In an environment where rents are increasing, it’s critical that businesses capture customers all throughout the day.
2. Eating Gelare ice cream is a unique experience. Traditionally, there has always been a divide between flavourful Italian gelato and the creamier more textured American ice cream. Gelare has created a hybrid ice cream, which is more flavourful and rich than American ice cream, with a much more premium texture than traditional Gelato.
3. Everything we make is fresh to order, but without a need for a kitchen or chef. This ensures there is no wastage at the end of the day and ensures a higher standard of quality.
6. What are the essential qualities that you look for in a franchisee?
Our franchisees must be passionate about our model and products and committed to realizing our global vision. They must demonstrate the qualities of honesty, collaboration and be in a mode of learning about how the brand can expand and consolidate best in their local territory.
7. How long does it take, on average, for your franchisee to realize their investment?
Typically they can realize their investment within the first year of operations if they meet their expansion goals.
8. What is your best achievement?
Being a father.
9. How does your business day start?
I start the day early with a period of quiet reflection. The aim of each day is to strive to make it better than the previous day. I make a list of the outcomes that need to be achieved in that day and then begin by responding to all emails.
10. What was your best moment throughout your franchise career?
Seeing owners thrive within our franchise network and creating a career for themselves that may not have otherwise been possible.
11. Where do you see your brand in the next 5 years?
I see our brand expanding considerably across the Middle East and South East Asia. The opportunities are ripe in these territories with the middle class expanding considerably in recent years. Gelare is the perfect aspirational main stream hospitality model.
12. Any tips you want to impart to our readers who want to be in the franchise industry?
The franchise model can be very rewarding for the right operator or team of operators. With any franchise, it’s important that you don’t treat the business as a passive investor. You should be passionate and have day-to-day involvement in the business. Never become complacent and always operate in a mode of learning to stay ahead of the curve.